I found this video to be very shocking, unsettling, and even a little bit disturbing. I am totally lost for words at how fast technology is advancing in this information age. I'm in awe of it. I'm really, truly, in awe of technology, but I'm also somewhat frightened of what the future has in store. I've heard facts and statistics like those mentioned in the video, but i could never figure out exactly why they were so unsettling for me.
I mean, isn't technology a good thing? Why should I be afraid when we're just improving communications, spreading ideas, curing more diseases, producing better video games as a result of it? Why should anyone be afraid of technology?
Is there a fear that technology will be abused? Take stem-cell research, for example. The good guys we know of use this great power as a means for regrowing the body's damaged tissues. Dutch scientists have even proposed that they could create a cow's muscle tissue and produce HAMBURGERS out of this stem-cell technology (meaning less animals would have to be slaughtered).
But what if someone abused that power and used it to create a race of evil, brainless, flesh-eating zombie humans? It sounds pretty stupid to me. I don't think the fear of technology is even about the abuse of power or that creepy, unnatural sort of sin that people often associate with cloning or stem-cell research.
I think it's all about change, and change, as Barrack Obama taught us, is a good thing. Still, considering how alot of people feel, one can only experience so much change before it becomes very unsettling. Our advances in technology pose major changes towards our human lifestyle. They determine how we learn, how we communicate, how we go about on a daily basis, and in some cases, whether we live or die. For people who are very solid with their ways of life, it could be hard to accept some of these major changes. Some changes may even force people to give up their ways of life. I don't want any sudden changes. Change is stressful and unsettling. Too much change at once just causes people's heads to spin.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Hey Ari,
just posing on your blog for the homework. I agree with most of what you wrote for your last post however not so much this part
"I mean, isn't technology a good thing? Why should I be afraid when we're just improving communications, spreading ideas, curing more diseases, producing better video games as a result of it? Why should anyone be afraid of technology?"
Technology in essence is bio- political. I mean on a personal level I enjoy it and will continue to use it. however, in the context of this film it showed that technology may lead to our ultimate demise. People are in a competitive race for the best or for scientific advancements.these advancements create real divisions and prevent us from dealing cooperatively with others. It allows for the government to spy on us and invade our privacy. It allows for the government to exert control over us.
I don't necessarily agree with these things but I figured it was a point of contention that I could argue against.
Anyways look forward to hearing your reply.
Good Night,
Alex
Hey Alex,
You said, "technology in essence is bio- political" and i couldn't agree more with that statement.
Technology is not just competitive like politics. In reality, the race to achieve this so-called "greatest technology", is just a raw, dirty, business that often involves fighting, theft, stolen patents, and a ton of legal shmorgasborg.
Keep in mind that technology is also responsible for a great deal of warfare. Imagine every weapon or killing machine that technology has produced. Think of the cold war. Or nukes for that matter.
With that said, it almost seems like technology kills just as many people as it saves. Guns vs medicine. Both are products of our technological achievements. So in any case, this leads me to believe that technology is neither good nor evil. Nothing about technology is black and white. There's alot of gray area.
Post a Comment