Friday, March 13, 2009

What Motivates me

They say knowledge is power, and that phrase alone may explain why i enjoy learning certain things. Knowledge indeed makes me powerful- and i appreciate this power especially when my power is weak in other aspects of life. My thirst for knowledge is a great motivating tool when it comes to science, social studies, or learning philosophy.

So in this sense, i guess knowledge is my motivation. Without knowledge, wouldn't have anything to think about. And i love thinking. Pondering, hypothesizing, imagining, questioning; you name it. That's just a fun thing for me. I love to think and analyze when I'm bored. Knowledge helps develop my thinking.

But i guess i can still be picky about what kind of knowledge i absorb. Anything that applies to my life is good. Birds, biology, eco-science, philosophy, and behavioral studies tend to be some of my best motivators. Math on the other hand, sucks.

I have no motivation to learn calculus or any other sort of high math. The knowledge I glean from math is almost always dull and uninteresting. It's boring, tedious, and repetitive. It's like carrying boxes up and down a flight of stairs. There's nothing interesting to it. Sure, it helps build problem-solving skills, but other than that, it just seems pointless.

You can't have a philosophical discussion on math figures.

No comments: